Monday, November 9, 2015

It's November - Great Cakes Soapworks Challenge!

The Great Cakes Soapworks Challenge - NOVEMBER!!!


This month's theme is the "Tall and Skinny Shimmy", as presented by the amazing soaper, Tatiana Serko. I have followed her blog and drooled over pictures of her soaps on Pinterest, so I was super excited to learn ANY of her techniques.

The technique is pretty straightforward. You have 7 colors and you tip your mold each time while pouring the color along the wall of the mold on the lower side.

Here are all of my materials lined up.


I built my mold as directed in the tutorial, mixed my 7 colors, and measured my oils.


One thing that I was really excited about was that Tatiana suggested not using the stick blender for this soap. I have never made soap entirely with a spatula, but I really loved it. I just felt like I was in charge, not the soap! It didn't take long to reach emulsion, and I really got a good feel for what the soap was doing.


 Here are all of my colors, ready to be poured. This was where I started to get a little nervous, but I took the plunge and got started.


This is what it looked like on the top when I was done. The black and orange stripes were super cool to me because the black and orange were the 2 bottom colors. I could not wait to see what this thing was going to look like. I figured that even if it didn't do the "shimmy", that it would still be super cool.


 Cleanup was a breeze because I used all paper cups.


The mold has been opened. What will it look like on the inside?





This is the part where I did a happy dance in the middle of my kitchen! Seriously! Look at those shimmies!!



 I wanted to do a gray and brown combo on one side and color on the other, kind of like Dorothy going from Kansas to the Land of Oz. So, I have aptly named this soap, "Welcome to Oz".

I am thrilled with the result and excited to share it with my customers as soon as it is cured.

And here they are - all cleaned and shined up! I am really happy!








Please visit and like my Facebook page
www.Facebook.com/thesoapychef
And this soap will be available in about 4 weeks on my etsy page.
www.thesoapychef.etsy.com

16 comments:

  1. Excellent! Technique turned out just fine! Very beautiful! Highly! Color is simply amazing! Work a little bit of texture soap mass was not well mixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. I loved this technique!

      Delete
  2. I like how boldly the colors contrast, and your theme is fun also. Even the sides of your soaps turned out pretty. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! I am so excited about this technique. I will definitely try it again!

      Delete
  3. You should be doing the happy dance, the soap is beautiful & for sure shimmies!!! Great job and cool color combination! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun theme for your soap! I love how it turned out! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shimmy! Great color combo!!
    Well done.
    Sly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done- you are a brave soul to mix by hand! Your color inspiration is very imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It didn't take too long to do it by hand, actually. And I liked that I never felt rushed because of it!

      Delete
  7. Great job! I really do think you have a great chance! Your shimmy is spot on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete